Sometimes it’s the simple things that make us happy, like hot, bubbling cheese on toast. That golden crispy top, gooey centre and crisp toast make a snack of gold award standards, but whilst cheese on toast can be as gratifyingly, sumptuous as any gourmet meal, it can also be a monumental let down.
Indeed cheese on toast is a simple dish that requires a little bit of know-how, for charcoal toast and lumps of semi-melted cheese are far from desirable. The key to success when making the ultimate cheese on toast lies in just a few simple steps:
1. Use thick sliced bread
2. Use cheddar cheese
3. Slice the cheese thinly. This is absolutely crucial to success. If the cheese is sliced too thickly it will not have chance to melt and bubble up before the bread is burnt to a cinder.
4. Toast one side of your bread and then butter the untoasted side
5. Place cheese evenly over the untoasted side of the bread ensuring no bread is left showing.
6. Grill under a hot preheated grill
7. Grill until the cheese is melted, bubbling and golden
If you want to spice up your cheese on toast try adding a pinch of spiced cayenne pepper or a sprinkle of smoked paprika. However, you can’t beat a nice splash of Worcester Sauce or mushroom ketchup added whilst the cheese is toasting.